Thursday, June 3, 2010

Scarecrow vs Scarecrow

Now, there are scarecrows, and then there are scarecrows. I have several, and they provide varying levels of protective "scariness".

First of all, I have this one. She is my favorite.

Several years ago, my guy entered the scarecrow contest at our local fair. When the time came to get one together he decided that he did not have the time. But, we had already paid the entry fee, so I decided to step up and help him out. I redressed my old frame and taped a basketball around her middle so she would look pregnant. Then I dug up another old frame and dressed it like a little girl, and even gave her a balloon. I entered them as a set.
Now, we did not win any prizes, but those two have become a family legend. When we went to the fair that year, there they were, proudly displayed with my guy's name attached to the front of them. On a very large card. Hilarious! And to top it off, all of our friends and neighbors had seen and admired his handiwork.

Now, as you may have guessed, she is not at all scary. As a matter of fact, she is the kind of scarecrow that the birds rest on between feeding frenzies!

My girls gave me a new scarecrow for Mother's Day. And, with any luck it will provide all the protection I need in my pumpkin patch.

It doesn't look like much, does it? Don't be fooled, on the "scariness" scale, it is a 10!
It is motion activated and has 10 different sensitivity settings. We have it set to 7. And, it will gettcha!
Just ask our dog. Or our cat. Or one of our poor, unsuspecting Memorial Day guests who was just coming by for a hot dog!
I LOVE it! And if you have a deer problem, I recommend that you get one for yourself. Right away!

And, to close this post, 2 photos of the yummiest lettuce I have ever grown.


Happy gardening!

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! Anything to keep those vegies and trees safe :-)

    ReplyDelete